Thursday 7 October 2010

Inward/Outward

Since my stroke I have become aware of how many people make assumptions based on outward appearances. I wrote this poem - to no-one in particular and yet to everyone who crosses my path to try and show that you should never judge a book by it's cover.


Outwardly I look like you
Walking, talking, smiling too
Glad to listen, quick to joke
Interested in other folk
Keen to learn and understand
Pleased to share in all you've planned
Controversial, unafraid
Proud of all the progress made
Outwardly I am the same
I know life's rules, I play the game

Inwardly I'm somehow changed
All my thoughts are rearranged
Nothing's simple, nothing's clear
Life's uncertain tinged with fear
Feeling old but looking fine
Each small step a lengthy climb
Every action now requires
Conscious thought which makes me tired
Crowds alarm me, I retreat
I stand still, I can't compete.

Outwardly I'm still just me
Yet I beg you, try to see
how I falter, though I try
to keep up and not to cry
Inwardly I chide myself
Don't give in, return to health
Even I remain quite shaken
By the course my life has taken
Tiredness my constant friend
As my brain attempts to mend

Inwardly I won't lose hope
otherwise I wouldn't cope
Outwardly perhaps it seems
I've lost sight of fragile dreams
Let me tell you that's not true
Though it looks that way to you
Just for now I must step back
Regain strength which now I lack
I'll return when I am able
When I feel a bit more stable

Inwardly I struggle so
Outwardly you wouldn't know
Blood tests, jabs and tired brain feeling
All of this has left me reeling
Writing makes me tire so fast
My days of long epistle's past!
So I plead, just give me space
Let me go at my own pace
Tears come easier than words
This is normal so I've heard.

May your prayers reflect my need
Just to go at my own speed.
In my weakness He is strong
Yes, it's hard don't get me wrong
Still my soul delights to claim
He, my Lord remains the same
Life has not gone as I planned
And I do not understand
There's no way we can explain
Please don't try, for in my pain
Honesty will help me best
Just leave God to do the rest.

Inwardly I'm still just me
Still sarcastic – wait and see!
Outwardly I look a sight
Hair needs cutting, what a fright!
Inwardly my world has changed
Outwardly I might seem strange
Recovery may take a while
So keep in touch and make me smile
Soon I will be back again
Albeit with a damaged brain
I hear you muttering “nothing new”!
I knew I could depend on you!

Karen
October 5th 2010



No comments:

Post a Comment