Sunday 24 October 2010

Box opening

Do you ever feel that life is random?  Personally I don't think it is, but I do sometimes feel that way!  Do you ever search for words to help someone who struggles?  Do you ever find that words are simply too clumsy?  This poem addresses these issues.

Box Opening

On deal or no deal they open some boxes
And respond with a gasp or a sigh
Sometimes there's cause for great celebration
But often I've known people cry

There's no way of knowing what each box contains
Yet people have game plans they use
Perhaps family birthdays or random events
To help decide which box to choose

And life sometimes seems very random
A bit of a lottery draw
We cannot predict what the future will bring
What your life or mine holds in store

And just like the boxes there's no guarantee
No knowing what each day may reveal
And the strangest thing I have discovered
There's no certainty how you will feel.

You may think you can gauge your reactions
By what has occurred in the past
There's many a challenge can shake us
And life can change ever so fast

Now things haven't got me defeated
But the box opening lately's been rough
And I'm finding some days are quite tricky
And often incredibly tough

As somebody asked me this morning
how have you found things today?”
I found that I didn't quite have the right words
For all that I wanted to say

My feelings are constantly changing
There's fear, relief and confusion
The moment I think I am back in control
I discover it's just an illusion.

And I'm grateful that person this morning
Had the insight to understand
That no words of wisdom were needed
But simply held on to my hand

That gesture meant more than you'd know
For it touched something broken inside
As God opened one of His boxes
And love and compassion supplied.

Karen Holmes
October 24 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment