Friday 8 October 2010

The Daily Routine (the shower song)

The Daily Routine (the shower song)

I'm writing this verse in the shower
It's making the paper all wet
Of all of the silliest things I have done
This must be the daftest one yet.

I was wakened around 7.30
To the sound of my cockerel alarm
I'm inclined to sleep through all the others
But this farmyard one works like a charm.

I wake at that time by necessity
For it's then that my first jab is due
It's a bit of a pain if I'm honest
Though it keeps me alive this is true.

So I first prick my finger to check out my sugar
To see if it's high or it's low
Then reach for my Novopen, check it for air
And dial up 9 units or so.

My legs are quite lumpy so I must ensure
I pick a fresh spot every time
That's why I don't wear my bikini (!)
You wouldn't if you'd legs like mine!

So then time for breakfast, another jab first
A miracle quick acting stuff
But sadly it cannot advise me
When I've eaten more than enough.

And now my inhaler, 2 puffs twice a day
Brush my teeth for two minutes and hope
It keeps all the cavities far from my mouth
With dentists I just cannot cope.

Once I'm dressed I am ready for Facebook
And maybe the postman will bring
A letter about a rich relative
Who has died and left me everything!

At lunchtime I gauge what I'm eating
For somehow I have to decide
How much of my insulin I should inject
For the food that is going inside.

Then a hypo will suddenly throw me
My vision goes first then I shake
So out come the black jelly babies
They're my favourites, make no mistake.

Another quick jab before tea time
And more calculations to make
If I end up high or low later
I'll have to correct my mistake

My final jab at 7.30
Should control my sugar level all night
But don't be deceived dear people
The dose isn't always quite right.

And before I can sleep and dream sweetly
There's tablets I that I have to take
Perhaps you'll forgive me for thinking
that I would be glad of a break

And that's why I need all of you lot
To boost my morale every day
For without you I'd just lose the plot
Whereas with you I'm only half way!


Karen Holmes

8 October 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment