Monday 25 October 2010

Faith

What is this thing called “faith” I ask
Is it some kind of crutch
Something that when life goes well
Isn't used as much?

Is it a kind of weakness
for those who need support
Something to get me through
When life is getting fraught?

Is it a flimsy hope
something that won't endure
A wishy washy vagueness
Of which I am unsure?

Does it blow hot and cold
Dependent on circumstance
Can I cast it to one side
without a second glance?

Or is it a solid foundation
A river ever flowing
Is it's constancy secure
However things are going?

Can I stand secure
On this unchanging ground
Can I feel safe
when change is all around?

Is it the very essence
Of all I am, Of me
Am I known for real faith
For this one certainty?

I can't say I never question
I don't say I never doubt
But do I return to faith
Do I sort my feelings out?

The answer must be “yes”
My only certain cry
Is faith in Him who loved me so
He was prepared to die

Faith in Him my constant truth
Only He can be
My hope through life, my hope in death
The only hope for me.

Karen Holmes
25 October 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment