Tuesday 26 August 2014

Unmarked Day

If I knew then, what I know now
I'd have made a note of that day somehow
Perhaps on the calendar with a marker pen
I'd draw a star to show "that was when"
I wouldn't have had a mobile phone
Or I'd set a reminder with a special tone
But each anniversary a cake on a stand
would be promptly delivered to all in the land
There'd be street parties, laughter and great celebration
To echo my own hearts resounding elation.

If I knew then, what I know now
I'd never unwittingly allow
that day to pass without a glance.
Alas I have no second chance
to rectify my careless ways
And so unknown that moment stays
lost, shrouded in the mists of time
forgotten in your thoughts and mine
A moment when my world was changed
goes unrecorded.  And it's strange

To wonder how such gaps exist
when other memories still persist.
If I had known the part you'd play
I'd save each detail of that day.
The day we met, exchanging names
To think we treated it the same
As any day before or after
brings me to tears or raucous laughter
If only I had known, I'd not
throughout my lifetime have forgot.

Karen Holmes

17th January 2011.


3 comments:

  1. I know when that day was for me....16th June, 1980. (My birthday.) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I actually remember the 29th of September, 2014, more. :-( xx

      Delete
    2. I am certain that 29.09.14 is a day you will never forget. xxx

      For me this poem is about the fact that we don't always realise the significance of meetings and so we don't make note of the day or the time.

      Delete