Wednesday 27 August 2014

My Own Little World

Lord, sometimes I live in my own little world
And I close my eyes tightly to outside events
There's no point in getting involved in debates
It's easier, more pleasant to sit on the fence.
The politics bore me, the figures confuse
At the touch of a button I switch off the news.
My neighbours are strangers, I just shout "hello"
I ask them "how are you?" but do I want to know?
Lord, I know it's not good enough, but that's life today

But what's your opinion, God, what is your way?

I know my indifference is breaking your heart
Oh show me your will and let me play my part
Lord stir up your Spirit within me again
And open my eyes to a world that's in pain.
For people are bound up in evil and strife
whilst others are starving, just clinging to life.
Lord show me the darkness but in me be light
Show me the evil but teach me what's right
Show me confusion but through me bring peace
Show me oppression but in me release
Your power, your goodness, your strength and your grace
Your compassion and love for the whole human race.

And Lord, if there's some way that you can use me
To bring about justice, to set people free
If I can bring truth to a world full of lies
Or point out the answer to some of life's "why's"
If I can untie the cords which ensnare
or help lift the pressures that people can't bear
If I can speak softly without accusation
If I can speak kindly without condemnation
If I can let God direct each conversation
Then surely each day will be different
And surely Your will may be done in some way
Lord teach me to listen and help me obey.

Karen Holmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment