Tuesday 26 August 2014

My Stroke Victory

This poem was written as a competition entry on the theme of victories.  It didn't win! Lol.  But I won.  I got on the train, I did it.

And whilst I am making this poem public, might I add that there is a very special lady who works at the ticket office at Kidderminster.  She observed my nervousness on that day of my first journey (long before the date of this poem) and so I explained.  She was very enabling and encouraging and still asks me how I am each time I travel.  Never underestimate the difference you might make in your routine daily job.


MY STROKE VICTORY

When the doors closed behind me on the train
I was taking control of my life again
Refusing to falter, despite pounding heart
Reclaiming my life, the beginning, the start
Of living unflinchingly with hope
The way I had before my stroke
Victory sought, Victory mine
When I met my friend at the end of the line.

Karen Holmes
April 4th 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment