Wednesday 10 November 2010

Crocodile Tears

Today's poem first sprang to life when I asked a friend how he was, he replied “Well I'm still looking at the grass from the right side up” This evening I remembered the story of my dad's grandad who had been ill and one day relatives who rarely bothered with him, turned up with the idea of paying their respects to the dying man and probably weighing up if there was anything worth laying claim to once he'd gone! He opened the door and said “I'm still alive,so you can put away your insurance policies and …......” go away! So this is dedicated to him.

Crocodile Tears

I'm looking at the grass from the right side up
There's life in the old dog still
Not ready for pushing up daisies
Or the making of my will.
No need to stop the chiming clocks
Or draw the curtains tight
Despite the medics best attempts
I'm putting up a fight.

Don't go searching out the policies
Insurance cash to share
The death certificate don't exist
So there's nothing for you there.
Get your hands off all my jewellery
All the gems you hope I've left
For whilst the living still draw breath
I'm afraid it's known as theft.

You can put your black suit back in mothballs
And stick your sympathy
For when you felt I'd live a while
You spared no thought for me.
Be off with you who feign distress
with crocodile tears
I've news for you dear relatives
I plan to live for years!

Karen Holmes
November 10th 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment