Saturday 28 February 2015

Be Still and know that I am God

Still?  You must be joking God, I've no time to be still
The only time anyone rests these days is if they're taken ill
Do you know how many demands there are, each moment of my day?
Being still just doesn't happen, it's simply not the way.......
life is, not now, 
I don't know how 
Things were when you were here
But life must have been much slower
That certainly seems quite clear.
Nothing is still anymore God
Everyone's rushing around
We're all so busy,
we start to feel dizzy

Bombarded by movement and sound.
The phone rings incessantly, my mobile keeps bleeping
My mind still works on even when I am sleeping.

I can't really hear what you're saying God
There's too many things going on
Perhaps there'll be time for you later
But I blink and the day has gone.

And I still haven't grasped that you're God
I'm too busy surviving each day
There's no way that I can truly be still
When I've hardly a moment to pray.

But I'm wondering how long I'll continue to dash through my life at this pace
I was never designed for this madness, treating life as a long, endless race.
Oh, I know that your word speaks of running - and keeping our eye on the goal
But that's totally different to this, Lord, running breathless and out of control.

Still? Well, perhaps in my heart and my soul

A quiet, restful place that is calm
Knowing the God in whom I believe
Is keeping me safe from harm.

Still, in complete, glad assurance t
hat God is the one I know
An oasis of calm in the desert, my safeplace wherever I go.

Perhaps I can nurture that stillness within
Where God can commune with my soul
For only in knowing that He is God
Can life be in any way whole.

Be still then - and know that He is God
Be still for a moment, He pleads,
and let it take root in the depth of your being
That God, is God indeed.

Karen Holmes
29th January 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment