Wednesday 17 December 2014

Little Certainties

My "little certainties" are not so small
in life where nothing stays the same at all.
My "little certainties" should not be mocked

for better they, than that my boat be rocked.
Would you have me to tread uncertain ground

Where unknown danger lurks and risks abound?
Far be it Lord that I should disagree
But "little certainties" sound good to me.

My "little certainties", my safety net

Have never let me down or failed me yet
Although I never venture far alone
Or take a step outside my comfort zone.
Familiar paths are all I ever tread
Would you, Lord, have me walk new ways instead?
You're asking me to walk in pastures new
And learn my only certainty is You.

How can I learn when I refuse to move?

My dependence upon you is hard to prove
surrounded by my comforts and possessions
how easy to presume I've learned life's lessons.
My life is safe in harbour - firmly moored
It won't go far, but safe it will remain
Yet in my mind I hear once more those words
"To live is Christ and yet to die is gain"

Karen Holmes
June 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment