Wednesday 1 December 2010

World AIDS Day 2010

I remember in the 80's
When AIDS first hit the news
Adverts which really scared me
And many different views
They said “Don't die of Ignorance”
Yet many lives were lost
And many grieving relatives
Were left to count the cost.
And mud was thrown, harsh names were called
Old friendships cast aside
Hence weeping families hid the truth
Of how their loved ones died.

Today I'll light a candle
Today I'll say a prayer
Dear God, please help those who are ill
and all the folk who care,
Dear Lord, please stop the prejudice
Let finger pointing end
Dear God please bring new hope and love
Your touch of healing send”
Will you join me in making sure
that nought but truth is spoken
And all who would complacent be
Are from their slumber woken?

You may feel that it wont affect
The ones you know, or knew
But everyone is vulnerable
Including me and you
And someone might just long to share
their hidden fears with you
But feel they must stay silent
cos of what you'll say or do.
Today on this “World AIDS day”
Let's pause and just reflect
On those who struggle daily
and show them our respect.

Karen Holmes
1 December 2010



No comments:

Post a Comment