Saturday 4 December 2010

No choice in the matter

Have you ever had the experience where you've no wish to do a particular thing until you know you can't and then suddenly you really, really want to?! If so you will understand this poem.

It's cold out and it's raining
Though the snow's begun to thaw
So the shops are full to bursting
Car parks full at every store
Not long now until Christmas
So there's sales on everywhere
And it's 3 for 2 as usual
I suppose that's more than fair.

And on any other day like this
I'd be glad I had no need
To rush round like the manic crowd
At a frantic, panicked speed
I'd be smug and self contented
For my shopping's mostly done
But because I know I can't go
It takes away the fun.

Have you noticed that's the way it goes
When you haven't got a choice
Though you wouldn't go out anyway
You somehow can't rejoice
Yes I know it's very silly
but I wish I had good health
So that I could mingle with the crowds
And grumble for myself.

I know the trains are crowded
With not a seat to spare
And cafes overflowing
Vacant tables but no chairs
Though the city would be brightly lit
The market stalls would be so busy
With people getting in the way
Enough to make you dizzy.

But I wish that I was well enough
To decide I wouldn't go
To declare it would be foolishness
to everyone I know
To say how stupid people are
To leave it all so late
to sit at home in comfort
And gloat at others fate!

Karen Holmes
4 December 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment