Thursday 9 September 2021

What sort of sacrifice?

I could bring so many things to God
and offer for His perusal
But does he ask something of me 

That so far gets refusal
Do I make real sacrifice
Or do I offer less
If he asks for something more, will he get my "yes"

At Lent we sometimes give things up
We might deem this sacrifice

Perhaps a treat that we enjoy
Something very nice
But then at Easter we can feast
Without a guilty thought
A temporary giving up, Is that what you ask, Lord?

If I could choose my sacrifice
I'd make myself a list
And choose something I didn't care for
Something I'd not miss
I'd lay it on the alter

And someone else might see
And think it was a costly gift, yet twas nothing much to me

For all of us like different things

And what might cost you dear
Could be of little value
To anybody here
And God knows well each one of us
And understands our hearts
And knows our full potential, 
has seen it from the start

So when God speaks to us each one
It's not a general word
It's whispered into every soul
Until His voice is heard
A whisper that caresses
No big stick does He wield 
For our yes is all he wants, 
If only we might yield.

Karen Holmes 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment