Sunday 25 August 2013

Where's my truth?

This poem speaks about the way we like to be in control, and that's ok, it's a human part of us.  But when it becomes too much to hold everything together we realise that there's more to life than the minute detail of our planning and decisions, our souls cry out for nourishment.  And so, when I speak of relinquishing control to God, I do not mean that we let go of all we seek, I do not mean we become less, I mean that we then reach our highest potential, our highest gain and enjoy our fullest life!  Inspired by a conversation with a friend.



I'm in control, my life's all sorted
I know my plans, I won't be thwarted
My head is full of things to do
Each day I think of something new
I'm working hard to earn the cash
Yet every penny's spent so fast
I'm trying to keep the plates all spinning
And usually it seems I'm winning.

And yet..........

I long to know so many things
If I could fly I'd spread my wings
And travel all the earth to find
The answers to my searching mind
I'd search the temples, wisdom seek
I'd sit enthralled as wise men speak
For many viewpoints thrive out there
But where's my truth, my solace, where?

I seek..........

Then God, in His all knowing way
Steps into chaos, gets in our way!
And silences all other voices
That clamour for our hasty choices
Bids them cease and slows down time
Brings stillness to this soul of mine
He rushes not, but tenderly
Reaches out, takes hold of me
Enfolds me in His warm embrace
And wipes the tears from off my face.

I know.......

It's God and me, none to distract
And my soul leaps to interact
with God - for in the depth of me
I recognise that only He
can fill that emptiness I find
remains, despite my crowded mind.

And I relinquish every goal
And cry "Oh God, come take control
For only then will I attain
The fullest life, my highest gain.

Karen Holmes
August 25th 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment