Thursday 25 July 2013

The Real Me

Some years ago I wrote a poem called "The Real Me" and felt at the time that I'd written it for somebody else.  I now believe it was also about me.  My few days in Brighton reminded me of it and I have now written an updated version.  Here is the original

Take me to the city, lose me in the crowd
Silence my emotions with music played too loud
Numb my pain with one more drink for no one knows me here
Another stranger smiling with artificial cheer

Help me put my mask on, hold it firm in place
There's too much vulnerability displayed upon my face
I'll say my lines and play my part
To hide the pain within my heart

Let me act on life's great stage
Play pantomime until old age 
And one day I might dare review
My days, my years, my whole life span
Will you then tell me who I am?
Or who I was, once used to be
Before I lost the real me.



And here is the one I wrote last night

Take me to the city, introduce me to the crowd
When emotions surface, we'll share stories and be proud
Pain is eased and somehow truth is visible and clear
Together we are stronger and our smile is more sincere

Help me take my mask off, give me no hiding place
Permission has been granted for me to show my face
The laughter and the tension, the longings of my heart
Are valid and acceptable, my journey to impart.

Let me dance on life's great stage
Enjoy my role until old age
And when I take my final bow
And credits roll for one last time
Let it be my life I have lived
And may my legacy then be
that I embraced the real me.

Karen Holmes 
24th July 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment