Wednesday 12 January 2011

Did You Know?

Did you know you made a difference when you posted me that card
for little things mean such a lot when life is proving hard.
Did you realise whilst sealing it how glad I'd be to know
That you had made the time to write, to lift me when I'm low?
Did you guess your words would make me smile and brighten up my day
Or suppose you'd be the answer to the many prayers I pray?
I've a feeling you had no idea just what your words might do
And that is why I write this verse expressing thanks to you.

Perhaps you read my status on my facebook page today
And you took the time to comment, find something fun to say
But you wouldn't know I'd read it in a moment of despair
And find something to smile at in what you'd written there
Or maybe on the forum, you read the thread I'd started
And understood that sometimes I'm sad and broken hearted
So you sent your love, or supplied a link, or said “I understand”
Did you know you'd make me feel that you'd reached out and held my hand?

You might have picked the phone up and rang me for a chat
Or listened to my worries in a cafe where we sat.
You may have made an effort to meet me in the town
To help me get out of the house and stop me feeling down
Or was it you who visited when really you were busy
I was very glad to see you when I felt so ill and dizzy.
Perhaps you sent a text message when I was feeling scared
It helped me through the trauma for which I was unprepared.

It could be you who reads my poems and takes the time to say
they've blessed you or you “like” them that really makes my day
For though I'm doing very well there still are times of fear
And times when I can't find my way – the pathway seems unclear
And moments of forgetfulness, when words seem lost for ever
I forgot where my own parents live – that isn't very clever!
But in my struggles, you have been a huge support you see
For every little tiny thing, means such a lot to me.

Thank you.

Karen Holmes
12 January 2011

1 comment: